Sunday, March 12, 2017

La Garenne-Lemot, Clisson, Loire-Atlantique, France

Wandering Around Cottage - March 2017 Edition


Do you remember that project I'm working on for the living-room? Well, it's not looking too hot... The quotes are high and what contractors show me doesn't match my vision at all. So I'll either have to give this project up or to make concessions, which is not my forte. If it were, I'd be married.

Vous souvenez-vous de ce projet secret sur lequel je travaille dans le salon ? Eh bien, cela ne s'annonce pas très bien. Les devis sont très élevés et surtout les professionnels me proposent des choses qui ne correspondent pas du tout à la vision que j'ai de ma pièce. Donc, soit je vais devoir abandonner, soit je vais devoir faire des concessions, ce qui n'est vraiment pas mon fort...


 So while I try to figure out what to do, let's go visit someone else's vision of a home. And for my own sanity, let's imagine that he as well had to make concessions at some point.

Alors pendant que j'essaie de prendre la bonne décision - ce qui ne va pas être rapide, rapide - visitons une maison imaginée par quelqu'un d'autre. Et, afin que je ne devienne pas folle, pensons très fort que lui aussi a sûrement dû faire des concessions à un moment ou à un autre.

 
Last month, I took you to Clisson, this amazing town in Southern Brittany that used to be a medieval town - the old castle is still standing - but has been completely rebuilt in the 19th century to mimick a Tuscan town by three French architects and artists who had studied in Italy.



Le mois dernier, je vous ai emmené à Clisson, cette fabuleuse ville au sud de la Bretagne qui a été une ville médiévale dont il reste le château, mais qui, après sa destruction, a été reconstruite au XIXe siècle, dans un style italianisant par trois artistes et architectes ayant étudié en Italie.



One of them, named François-Frédéric Lemot, bought the old medieval castle. But he didn't live there... Not hard to see why if you remember the inexistant roofs or floors from my post! 

L'un d'eux, François-Frédéric Lemot, acheta le château médiéval. Mais il n'y vivait pas, et quand on se souvient de l'état des toitures et des planchers, on comprend pourquoi!

 
Instead, he decided to build a mansion and to create a park that would have a view over the castle.

A la place, il décida de construire une maison et de créer un parc avec une vue sur le château.

The park is actually huge and in several parts. I didn't have time to wander through all of it, but I hope to go back there someday.


Le parc est immense et s'étale des deux côtés de la rivière. Je n'ai pas eu le temps de tout parcourir, mais j'espère y retourner un jour.


I'm sure you would be perfectly content living in the gate-keeper's cottage or the gardener's cottage.  I would have loved entering those. But it was not possible.

Gate-keeper's cottage/maison du portier


Je suis sûre que vous vous contenteriez sans problème de vivre dans la maison du portier ou dans celle du jardinier. J'aurais aimé jeter un coup d’œil à l'intérieur, mais cela n'était pas proposé.

Gardener's cottage/Maison du jardinier

The park and its building now belong to the region Loire-Atlantique (French is not divided in states, but in regions) and the main building is used for exhibitions.

Gardener's cottage/Maison du jardinier

Le parc et les bâtiments appartiennent maintenant au Conseil Général de Loire-Atlantique et le bâtiment principal accueille des expositions.


I did visit the exhibitions, which was last summer a collection of art work about fairy tales and myths. I was not allowed totake pictures of the exhibition, but I did take a few pictures inside so you could imagine how it was like to live in that Tuscan inpired home.


L'été dernier, la maison accueillait une exposition d’œuvres d'art en rapport avec les contes de fées et les mythes. Je n'ai pas eu le droit de photographier l'exposition, mais j'ai pu prendre quelques photos de l'intérieur afin que l'on puisse imaginer ce que cela devait être de vivre là.


Some of the fireplaces were covered, I guess in order not to destract the attention from the exhibition. But, though I love everything about myths and fairy tales and enjoyed the art works, I was very willing to be distracted by the house.


Dans de nombreuses pièces, les détails architecturaux étaient cachés par des tentures, sûrement pour éviter de distraire l’œil de l'exposition. J'adore les mythes et les contes et j'ai apprécié l'exposition, mais mes yeux étaient tout de même très volontaires pour être distraits... par la cheminée ci-dessus ou le plafond ci-dessous.


I admired the staircase, especially since mine really needs some work done!


J'ai bien admiré l'escalier en pensant honteusement au mien qui a vraiment besoin que je m'occupe de lui.


Uptairs consists of a huge long room that opens to several smaller rooms where the exhibition kept going.


A l'étage, il y a une immense pièce qui fait toute la longueur de la maison et qui dessert des pièces plus petites où se poursuivait l'exposition.


One of the upstairs room opened on a Tuscan-inspired balcony... And for some reason, I immediately dreamt of terra-cotta tiled patio for Cottage...


L'une des pièces de l'étage ouvrait sur un balcon d'inspiration italienne et soudain, je me suis mise à rêver d'une terrasse en dalles de terre cuite pour Cottage.


And this was the view from the balcony...

Et voici la vue depuis le balcon...

I typed that whole post with paint on my hands... I needed to work on something since the project I was hoping to sign for isn't working for now... So I'll still have something to show you next time!

J'ai écrit tout cet article avec des mains pleines de peinture... Dépitée que mon projet pour le salon ne puisse pas être signé pour l'instant, j'avais besoin de peindre. Ainsi, j'aurai quand même quelque chose à vous montrer la prochaine fois !

See you next time,

A la prochaine fois,

Hasta la proxima,

27 comments:

  1. you make me want to go wandering with you. thanks for the pick me up of those beautiful buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved this visit, even if the wandering is only virtual, for now!

      Delete
  2. une aussi grande maison peut-elle être chaleureuse ? à l'époque les proprio ne devaient pas rechercher un cocon douillet mais devaient pouvoir recevoir... et ne devaient pas non plus faire eux-mêmes le ménage !! quelles surfaces ! quels volumes !! mais le parc et la vue sont sublimes... bonne reprise pour demain - monique59

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's frustrating. My bathroom is still setting there just like it was a month or so ago. I can't afford to pay anyone to finish it. So I'm waiting till I think I'm doing better walking to tackle it. It's really just cosmetic stuff for mine.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just gorgeous. I would be happy to live in the gardener's cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The architecture of the mansion is magnificent and beautiful! Yesh! I'm sorry that the quotes were high and have fun finishing your project:).
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this project was supposed to be an easy one and it's giving me nightmares!!!
      Magali

      Delete
  6. So beautiful! This is wonderful, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful to see places I've never been and probably own't ever see! Thank you!

    I wish you all the best with your projects...there always seems to be glitches but a year from now...

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi...that place is spectacular..an isn't it funny how the wealthy call those homes a cottage..i sure would love to get there myself one day..if he did make concessions..i'd love to know what they may have been..an LOL be married..sorry your idea isn't being seen by the contractors..i don't think they like to do what they don't think seems right..happened to a friend..an when she insisted on it..the guy was so surprised at how much even he liked the end result..i hope you find someone that sees your vision an can get it done..for now i'll look forward to seeing what you've been painting..have a nice week..winter is back with a vengeance here..

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite things to do is wander through old southern mansions, French chateaus, or medieval castles. We have spent many hours on many trips doing this and with this post I realize it has been to long. What an interesting castle, even if it is rebuilt. I'd love to see the keeper's cottages! I happen to think cottage would love a terra cotta patio. I do hope you are able to persuade your contractor to "just do it" and get it the way you want! Keep Calm and don't give up! Thanks for the tour, have a wonderful week Magali.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Monday Morning Magali. You are so right I would be comfy living in the smaller care taker cottages. What a gorgeous place so wander. Sorry about your vision on the living room not being what you want. Sometimes when you walk away from a project and give it some time you can come back and maybe see something else that will work. Have a great new week ahead.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful tour Magali! You definitely have marriage nailed down. lol Wait for the right contractor....he or she is out there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I admit I almost laughed out loud after reading the marriage comment! You're a riot!

    There's one word that describes that terrace...romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Le château est superbe, mais comme toi, je me contenterai de la maison du jardinier qui est plus intime. Par contre le parc, quelle merveille ! Mais finalement, ton cottage et son jardin ne sont pas mal non plus ! Bon courage pour ta semaine. Bises. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful tour. Love the gatekeepers house. I hope you can hold out for the right contractor. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, Magali...I would have focused on the house, rather than the exhibit. Lovely photos. A great way to get inspiration for your projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for this wonderful trip. I loved the gardens, houses, castle, everything.

    Keep looking you will figure out how to get what you want for the Cottage. Don't give up.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. I learn so much when I visit your blog. I found this very interesting and you left me wondering about the 'Fairy Tales and Myths' exhibition.

    I hope things work out as you wish for your sweet little white house.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's really interesting place. I like it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a wonderful exploration! You live in an area of history, magic, beauty and stories. I love the medallion on the ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful property.

    I always love exploring with you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed the journey - can't wait to see what's coming!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Impressive. Actually, I rather like the look of the gardener's cottage. But I agree the staircase is good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Be still my dreaming heart. What a gorgeous home... The landscape, the architecture. I do love beautiful villas. I definitely would feel right at home there.

    Thank you for taking us on a journey through this amazing estate.

    Janet
    rosemary-thyme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sorry your quotes were high - hope you may be able to get something sorted.

    I thoroughly enjoyed my tour, both the outside and inside looked lovely ... and that wonderful view at the end, wow!

    Enjoy the rest of your week

    All the best Jan

    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.